Sunday 15 July 2012

BOXING: How Khan and Chisora kissed the canvas

Courtesy: Guardian.co.uk (Amir Khan on the canvas after being knocked down by Danny Garcia.)
Devastating knockdown for Amir Khan sees Danny Garcia take his title
Referee had to end the Las Vegas fight in fourth round, sending British boxer away defeated from a fight he should have won.


The referee stepped in to stop the fight in the fourth round after WBC champion Garcia launched a series of blistering attacks on Khan which saw the Briton felled three times.

"I always knew I had it in me. I feel like the great fighters bring the best out of me and Khan is a great fighter," Garcia said after the fight.

Khan, who has now lost three times in 26 professional bouts, posted an message on his official Facebook page saying: "Can I apologize to my family friends and everyone. I got caught with a shot and I know millions of u are upset but that's boxing for u."

The 25-year-old lost his World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) belts to Lamont Peterson in December 2011, but was reinstated as the WBA champion earlier this month after the American failed a drugs test prior to their scheduled rematch in May.

The IBF are still to decide on what course of action they will take regarding the original fight.



David Haye and Derek Chisora Fight


It was Haye's power allied to some trademark nimble glove work which finally prevailed as the 10-round fight sanctioned by the Luxembourg Boxing Federation neared the halfway stage. come to blows after fight

Towards the end of the fifth round, the 31-year old unleashed a devastating left-hook before a follow-up right hand floored Chisora.pes of boxing with Amir Khan
The Zimbabwe-born fighter made referee Luis Pabon's count comfortably but crashed to the canvas again seconds later following a barrage of punches from Haye.

He staggered to his feet a second time but Pabon stopped the fight leaving Haye to milk the cheers from a boisterous 30,000-strong crowd.
Sworn enemies before Saturday's fight, Haye and Chisora finished the night exhanging pats, smiles and handshakes in front of photographers, before both publicly declared a truce to their bitter war of words.

"Whatever beef I had with Dereck before the fight is over now from my side and I hope it's vice versa," Haye told Sky Sports.

"After sharing a ring with Dereck I have a new found respect for the man. I had respect for his boxing ability but I never believed he could be as good as he was tonight. He raised his game," Haye added.
Chisora agreed. The two men had made up and could now "eat in the same restaurants and go to the same clubs," the 28-year-old said.

"It was a great fight and everything is done."

#Reports according to CNN#

No comments: