Saturday 20 April 2013

Sani Gideon back after injury layoff

Nigerian striker Sani Gideon has returned to action in Turkey after he was sidelined for three months by a knee injury.

The Akhirsar Belediyespor of Turkey striker told mtnfootball.com that he now hopes to help his Turkish club stay up in the top flight.

“I played a game for the reserves on Monday against Fenerbahce. I hope to be part of some games to help in my team’s survival,” said the 22-year-old Gideon, who featured for Gateway FC of Abeokuta before he moved overseas.

His club are in the drop zone on 35 points from 30 matches with four rounds to be played. They are two points away from safety.

He said of his long battle with injury: "I have been unlucky this season with injury. I have played seven games and was injured at the beginning of second round. It was a knee injury that made me miss up to 10 weeks initially. So I went for a scan and the doctor said I will miss eight weeks.

“Later, I bounced back after six weeks, then trained for two weeks, then the injury returned as I felt pain on my leg and that kept me out for another two weeks.”

Last season, Gideon scored four goals in 14 games for Akhirsar.

No comments: