Monday 13 January 2014

Ronaldo beats Messi, Ribery to win Ballon d'or



Real Madrid and Portugal forward, Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the FIFA Player of the year 2013. He beat other contenders Frank Ribery and Lionel Messi to pick the Ballon d'or award.
 At the glamorous award ceremony held in Zurich, Pele who has earlier won the  FIFA Ballon d'Or Prix d'Honneur (Player of the 20th Century) announced the award, as Ronaldo broke into tears while receiving. 

 "First of all I have to say a great thanks to all of my team-mates with the club and the national team. Without all of their efforts this would not have been possible. I am very happy, it is very difficult to win this award.

"Everybody that has been involved with me on a personal level I have to thank. My wife, my friends, my son. It is a tremendously emotional moment. All I can say is thank you to everybody that has been involved." Says Ronaldo.


Other Categories of award:

WOMEN'S WORLD PLAYER OF THE YEAR: NADINE ANGERER
COACH OF THE YEAR FOR MEN'S FOOTBALL: JUPP HEYNCKES
COACH OF THE YEAR FOR WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: SILVIA NEID

STATS: 184 national team coaches, 184 national team captains and 173 media representatives voted for the FIFA Ballon d’Or. Ronaldo secured the title with 1,365 points, ahead of Lionel Messi with 1,205 points and Franck RibĂ©ry with 1,127 points.

No comments: