Tuesday 8 April 2014

Chelsea, Dortmund gasp for the miraculous

Stamford Bridge will on Tuesday host French side Paris Saint German in a clash of hope as Chelsea looks to  overturn the 3-1 defeat they fell to last week in Paris during their UEFA Champions League quarter- final first leg tie.

While in Germany, Borussia Dortmund are also in the race for a great come back having lost the first leg in Spain  to Real Madrid 3-0.

According to Dortmund coach Jürgen Klopp, "I don't think it is difficult to choose an approach for the game. We got a result in Madrid which does not leave us withmuch choice. As always, we will give our all to win. I cannot understand 100% why so many people are saying that we have to score in the first five minutes.

"I don't know how many miracles have been proclaimed before they
happened. We don't have any right to speak about that, but we have the right to give everything tomorrow and perform with will power. If we somehow get a result that takes us through, then great; if not, we want to say goodbye to the Champions League with a good performance."

On Chelsea's chances, Mourinho is convinced his team will prove their pedigree to prevail in the tie, despite only two clubs – Barcelona at
Chelsea's expense in 2000, and Chelsea against Napoli two years ago – having recovered from a 3-1 first leg deficit to progress in the revamped Champions League.

"PSG have what they have, we have what we have," the manager said. "If you ask me if I think we'll win, yes I think so. I think we are going to win, really, and, at the end of the two legs, we'll have scored more goals than them. Pure mathematics. It's 3-1 now, but in the end I think it can be 4-3, or 5-4 [to us]. If I don't think that, I won't go [to the game]. And I'm happy to go.

"We need to win. What do we need to show? The players have to show their quality, confidence, ambition … all these qualities which make a player play at the top level and a team to play at this level. I think if PSG are knocked out it will be a big disappointment for them. If we are knocked out it's something that, at this moment, lots of people are
expecting. That's why I say we have to enjoy the risk of the situation. Most important is the belief, and I believe. My players believe."

No comments: