Friday 8 August 2014

Drogba bows out of international football

Instagram: @didierdrogba
Ivory Coast and Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has decided to quit national team football.

The Ivorian forward (36) released a statement on his Instagram account on Friday afternoon and also shared a picture of his moments with the national team which he captained for almost a decade.

He writes, ''It is with great sadness that I have decided to end my international career.  

''These twelve years in the national team have been immense emotions. My first choice for my last game it was always important for me to give the best of myself to my country.

''I am of course proud to be the captain of this team for 8 years and have helped put my country Cote D'Ivoire on the world stage by taking part in three World Cups in a row and two finals of CAN unfortunate. 

''I can not thank the fans for all their love and appreciation for these annĂ©es.Tous my goal, s all my selections, and victories are for you, I love you !!! 

''I thank all the players who have helped me to be a pleasure and I wish good luck to my new ex-partners for upcoming deadlines and of course Akwaba the new coach.''

Drogba has made a total of 104 caps for his country and scored 65 goals in all. 

No comments: